Friday, January 2

The Bathtub Curve

The Bathtub Curve.

Yes I'm writing about the bathtub curve.

Yes, that would be the graph which looks like a bathtub.

There is the initial high.

Then there is the trough ... the lowest part... kinda flat and stretched out (just imagine a bath tub).

And the final high.

In my opinion, everything in life can be represented using a bath tub curve.

But, today my topic of discussion is very narrow.

You've probably never heard of a band called The Killers.

Well, I can't really blame you. Not much is known about them outside USA and Europe.

I'm one of their biggest fans.

Their first album "Hot Fuss" was amazing. From songs like "Mr. Brightside" to cheer you up, there was the nonsensical "Somebody Told Me", the groovy yet sad All The Things I've Done, which spawned the famous line "I've got soul but I'm not a soldier", the evergreen "Jenny was a friend of mine". I could go on and on. Yes I really do like them that much. So did all the award shows.

But like them enough to dedicate an entire post to them ??

Well no.

My point brings us to their second album called Sam's Town. Listening to Sam's Town one would feel a bit let down ... the raw power was missing. The thumping basslines were missing. Although "Read my mind" could probably move even the most coldhearted person to tears.

Their next effort was much worse. It was a compilation of B-Sides and covers called Sawdust.
Apart from their amazing collaboration with Lou Reed on "Tranquilize" and their less than impressive (only slightly though) cover version of the Dire Strait's classic "Romeo and Juliet", not much to talk about.

Now they've released their fourth attempt called Day and Age. I hated the album. Initially.

After hearing it around five to six times running ovals around the park in National Games Village, I started loving it. I think it's one of the best albums I've listened to.

Now, this could mean two things.

Firstly, they might have found the slope back up to their initial level.

Or, maybe I've lost my sense of judgement, due to accomodation, the constant changing force which society instills in us.

I'll assume it's the first point to avoid confusion and drive home my point.

Okay, so now you'd be thinking ... what the hell is this guy sayin ??
Does he have any idea what he's talking about ??
Is there any point that he's trying to make ??
God this is more confusing than calculus.

Well. It isn't more confusing than calculus. And yes, there is a point I'm trying to make.

Maybe it just so happens that the Killers just so happened to fit into the curve (which also just so happens to be there).

Life, in fact, is just opinion.

Lets talk about another of my favourite bands, the Red Hot Chili Peppers.

Initial high of One Hot Minute, Mother's Milk and Blood Sugar Sex Magik.

The all time lows of Californication and By The Way.

And now they're back in form with Stadium Arcadium.

If you've had the patience to read till here, you'd probably be asking... why just musicians ? why just bands ?

Because, I feel, one of the best ways to get an accelerated view on life is to follow a band.

Why?

Because, once again it's just my opinion, that they feel the pressures of society and need to conform. More than individuals and couples. Imagine trying to hold together a marriage of four to six people. Then, in that pressure, churning out albums which are to be accepted by society. Then, trying to do it for the rest of your life.

Yes, the bath tub curve applies to life.

In a bigger way than you would imagine.

We all start with an initial high. Be it life or some personal endavour.

When we're born, we are care free.
The initial high.

Slowly, what society expects of us comes to the fore. We are "groomed". This has to be the low.

Normally, this period extends for a long long time. Till we are independent.

The sad part about all this is that we give up when we're at the bottom. It's not like anyone can blame us though. After the initial high, everything seems bad. So we quit.

We fail to recognize that there is the crest at the end, waiting for us.

This is not intended to be a motivational speech.

I quite frankly hate motivational speeches.

I'm just stating something I've noticed.

And who am I to write about life?

You're right. I'm no one. And I admit it.

I have no business writing this.

I don't.

I really don't.

But hey, it's just my opinion....

8 views recorded
:

Yuvraj said...

dude, trust me when i say this.. whtevr u said abt life's absy true...

Tejapratap .B said...

NEAT!

Original... loved the ending :)

Ramya said...

The Bathtub Curve.

Love it. Keep writing..

Anonymous said...

sad...i always thought californication and btw rocked

Unknown said...

your posts make a good read... nicely written. I m a fan too of Killers and RHCP and i loved the way you tried to make your point using the examples from bands... amazing.
Tho i might not completely agree wit bathtub curve... i think life has more complicated ups and down and most of the times can be full of so many ups and downs to generalize in a bathtub curve.
Still it was original... keep up the good work... loved it

sLuDGy said...

@Deepak Lakhwani: I think the part of life where there are ups and downs for me is the lowest part of the bathtub curve. Thats all. Life before society starts moulding you is the initial high. And life, when you realize the pressure put on you by society, and work your way out of it to end up living it the way you want to is the final high. No one can take your independence away from you, you were born with it. Hence the symmetry in the curve.

porcelain said...

Hey there! Loved the post. Also, while you're talking about The Killers, I suggest you listen to Kings Of Leon. They're amazing!

The Comedian said...

Leave the Bourbon on the shelf shona...

TIR indeed :D